Saturday, October 29, 2005

Chartreuse

Did you know you can text message Google from your phone?  It’s true, you can.  My friend Marc told me about it a couple of weeks ago and I finally had use of it last night.  Some friends and I were at La Madeleine for dinner and somehow we got on the topic of the color chartreuse.  One friend said it was a pink color and I said it was a green color.  We tried to come to agreement by hashing it out through such methods as arm-wrestling and Rock Paper Scissors, but to no avail.  

Then I remembered:  We can text message Google!

So I called Marc real quick to find out how to do it.  The number is ‘google’ spelled out but without the ‘e.’  (So I guess you could say the number is ‘googl.’)  He must think he has really pathetic friends with nothing better to do on a Friday night than to google Google about the color chartreuse.  (For the record, it was a lovely evening with dinner, a Chai Tea Latte, and a movie.)

Anyway, I sent the following text message to 46645:
DEFINE: chartreuse

I got the following reply:
The green-yellow color that is common among trees that have poor fall coloration of their foliage.

I like being right.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI...typically, the more useful purpose of text-messaging Google from a phone is to get a phone number without havng to pay the $15,000 or so that it costs to get it from your cellphone's directory assistance. For example, say you wanted the phone number for Bennigan's in Plano; you would send a SMS text message to 46645 (GOOGL) that simply says Bennigans Plano, TX and it'll come back with the addresses and phone #s for all matches. Mighty convenient when you're trying to stick it to the (directory assistance) man!

12:36 AM  
Blogger journeylogger said...

Okay, I was just wondering today about the definition of "chartreuse" and here it is! Weird...

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home