Monday, September 26, 2005

Hold'em

I’m not an official member of a regular singles class at church.  I teach a class for single parents and I had been an honorary member of the singles class I came from since then.  I went to all their social events, etc.  But then that class split into two and I have friends in both classes.  I thought it was sort of weird being an honorary member of both classes as well as a real member of my own.  Maybe I’m spreading myself too thin.

Anyhoo, last night the Cruz/Rorie ABF (Adult Bible Fellowship, Lake-Pointe-speak for Sunday School class) had its first official social event as a new ABF.  They were going to go bowling, but the alley they went to only has league bowling until almost 9.  So they decided to go to Borders and play Texas Hold’em.  (It’s not really gambling.  I mean, we weren’t playing with real money or anything.  Just for fun, having a good time.  It’s no different from playing Spades or something, except that instead of keeping score on paper, you just add up your chips.)

I went to church last night and after it was over, I decided to join them for a little fun.  They had already started, but I got dealt in, although they gave me fewer chips than everyone else started with.  That’s okay.  They got to have a head start.

I kicked butt.  Not trying to brag or anything (I’m much too modest for that.)  I’m just stating the facts.  I killed‘em.  Creamed’em.  I think it comes back to my ability to read people.  I just KNEW when they were bluffing.  I lost one hand pretty big because I thought one guy was bluffing and it turns out he WAS bluffing, but only because he didn’t realize he had a flush, which killed my whatever-I-had.  So he thought he had nothing, and I knew that he thought he had nothing, but then he really did have something, and he ended up with my chips.  Poophead.  

Brittney and I were the last two standing.  Once you get down to two people, especially amateurs like us, it’s really all about luck.  Nobody wants to fold, so you just stay in and hope for the best.  On the last hand, she was all in.  There was one card left to turn and I was drawing to a winning hand.  Then the dealer pulled a 6 on the river to complete my straight and ensure my victory.  Yeah, I got skills.

I don’t know why I get such a kick out of poker, especially beating guys as poker.  I guess because it’s such a typical guy game.  Don’t believe me?  Click here.  I’m typically not the type of woman who tries to do things just because someone tells me that I can’t because I’m female.  I used to be, but then I realized I had better things to do with my time than prove other people wrong.  But I do get a kick out of contributing to the occasional paradigm shift.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home