Saturday, August 20, 2005

The British

I love British accents. I think I do a pretty good one. Not perfect, but if someone familiar with British accents heard, they would probably just think I was from out in the country and was uneducated. Much like we Americans think of people from Georgia or Alabama or other state with a noticeable southern drawl.

Anyway, Brittney and I went to Target tonight and the whole time I was there, I talked in a British accent. It was totally fun. It's weird how people respond to you differently when they think you are from England. People would hear me talk and look up and smile. That doesn't usually happen when I'm speaking Texan.

I also talked about how different things are here than in Britain. I talked about how hot it was in America, etc. Of course, I've never been to Britain, but I'd like to go someday. Maybe I'll be able to blend in with the locals. Then again, I love the limelight, so I'll probably use my American accent there so that when people hear me talk, they will look up and smile. Of course, they might rather throw something at me. I'll have to think about that one before I actually go.

I even talked on the phone to a friend and she didn't notice it. I was afraid she would ask why I sounded strange, but I didn't want to have to explain what I was doing, because those around me enjoying my Britishness would know it was all a ruse and then they would look at me like I was retarded rather than like I was a cool Briton.

I think that will be my Target voice from now on. Very cool. Maybe when I meet a man, I should talk like this, too, and when he wants to know where I am from, I can have him try to guess. It could take hours. And I would laugh the whole time.

This is also preparation just in case Prince William ever proposes and there is some sort of public outcry about him marrying an American girl. I can lie, and say I am from Liverpool, or something like that.

Cheerio!

1 Comments:

Blogger Meredith said...

I even have a British name. Elizabeth. Ever read Pride and Prejudice?

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home